My 1st child Tucker 4-7-2010

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Tucker's Birth Story

I wrote this about 1 week after he was born.


 "It was such an amazing experience. I had my first contraction at 2:40am on 04/07. I was 37 1/2 weeks pregnant. I thought it was very bad indigestion at first, until I saw that my underwear was soaked. I yelled to Zach from the bathroom, "My water broke!" He said, "the pipes broke?" What do you mean the water broke?" He thought I said “THE water broke”. I was like, "What the heck do you think I mean!" Too funny.


I had another contraction about 20min later, so we thought it was going to be a while. But then they started coming every 5 min and then 3 min all within 1hr. I remember screaming "f***!" a number of times, lol. The contractions were incredibly intense right from the beginning. For a couple months before hand, I had been slowly dilating. I had a check up the day before and was 3 cm dilated and 70% effaced. My body was ready! We then decided to call the urgent care nurse. I could barely get through that phone call, the contractions were sooooo intense. She told us to immediately go to the hospital.


Zach tried calling my parents house about 3-4times and no one would pick up! Aren’t you supposed to be ready for this sort of thing? Jeeeeeeeeez. We needed someone to come pick up our dog. I then called Allie (my lil sis), knowing that she would pick up. She did right away and rushed to tell my parents. My parents later discovered that the battery had died on the phone.


 It was all chaos from there, trying to get everything together. I think our dog, Enzo, was really freaked out :( We had just installed the car seat the night before so I wasn't able to recline my seat back! Horrible!!! I was digging my finger nails into Zach's hands and biting the seat belt strap while drenched in sweat.


 When we arrived at the hospital, this very kind security guard offered me a wheel chair and told me I could squeeze his hand during the contractions...so sweet. They took me up to Triage to get checked out. I remember stripping down naked without any shame because I was so hot. I started vomiting like crazy and shaking (transition). I remember telling the nurse I was scared. Zach and the nurse had to pick me up onto the bed because I couldn't do it. I remember telling people to shut up; I was incredibly annoyed with all the questions everyone was asking me. She checked me and I was 9cm dilated! I could tell by the tone of her voice that she was a little freaked out. I remember begging for pain medication, even though I had planned a natural birth. The resident told me that I was almost there. I then remember thinking to myself…”I CAN do this!” They then rushed me off to the birthing room.


 I don't remember too much in between...Zach remembers more. I had the urge to push after about 20-30 min. I remember yelling "I need to push!!!" I then pushed a couple times without anyone knowing...I couldn't help it. There were concerns that my doctor wouldn't arrive in time, but she did thank God. When I was told I could push, I totally went for it. I wanted to get him out of me ASAP! I wanted to keep pushing, but they told me to wait until contractions came. I pushed as hard as I could with every bit of strength. I remember hearing myself roaring and grunting with every push. I felt a burning sensation and knew the time was near. I pushed through it. I felt his head come out and it was very relieving and then the rest of his body just slid out. Best feeling ever!!! So warm and peaceful.


He was out within 1/2hr and let out the cutest cry right away. Born at 5:42am weighing 7lbs 2oz and 18 1/2in long. Scored a 9/10 on his Apgar test. Only a 3 hour labor! His warm little self was immediately put on my chest. I'll admit though, I was still really out of it. I was a bit shocked at what just happened. It was all very surreal and I just wanted to feel better, so I didn't have this very emotional bonding experience right away...it took a few minutes. I was like, "did that really just happen?" It was all so fast, it felt like a dream.


 Zach watched the whole thing. He wasn't planning on it. He said it was awesome and very natural. He was so encouraging during the whole process, especially during pushing. He kept letting me know my progress, exclaiming " Oh my gosh I saw it move!" Or "that was a really good one!" and "Ashley, our baby has hair!" His comments really encouraged me to keep going strong. At one point, he said "Ashley, it looks like a muffin coming out!" The doctor and nurses all laughed. I wasn't really sure what that meant, but it made me laugh and helped me loosen up a bit.


 I did have a 2nd degree tear which is pretty much healed now. Very painful. Breastfeeding took a while to get used to. I couldn't tell if anything was coming out. There were times of frustration getting him to latch correctly and learning all the positions. Once my milk came in it was easier. But no one told me how painful engorgement is!!! I broke down crying at one point. I was told it was last 24-48hrs, mine lasted 7 days! He still mainly nurses on one side for 15min and then falls asleep. The only way to wake him up is to change his diaper. So we're still learning. He's a really good baby and a good sleeper. I usually have to wake him up to nurse. I hope this lasts!


 Anyway, I love being a mom. He's the most amazing thing that has happened to Zach and I. Our marriage has gotten stronger. I've experienced a little post-partum depression...thinking things like, I'm a prisoner to my own house, how will I ever be able to do anything anymore and feelings of abandonment with Zach going back to work and leaving me alone with him. Feeling better now after getting out of the house a few times! Just really needed to get out and do normal things!


 Best experience of my life. It was extremely empowering.I felt like a birth warrior. My doctor said I was a rock star ;) I Can't wait to do it again!"

No comments:

Post a Comment