My 1st child Tucker 4-7-2010

Monday, March 5, 2012

My Thoughts...

I realized the other day that I haven't really put my own thoughts, opinions, or views of childbirth on my blog. My intention is not to offend or cause a ruckus, but since I'm so passionate about birth this might be hard. One might speculate from my posts, that I'm a certain way or the other. Hopefully the following will clarify a few things.


First of all, I'm a follower of Christ and believe that our lives are not about ourselves and our accomplishments. But rather, about God's glory and being completely satisfied in him. As Jonathan Edwards states: "The enjoyment of God is the only happiness with which our souls can be satisfied. To go to Heaven, fully to enjoy God, is infinitely better than the most pleasant experiences here. Fathers and mothers, husbands, wives or children, or the company of earthly friends are but shadows; but God is the substance. These are but scattered beams, but God is the sun. These are but streams. God is the ocean."


Secondly, I do believe that childbirth is a very natural thing created by God. He designed it and therefore it is beautiful. A laboring woman should be allowed to let the birth unfold naturally, in its own timing. Everybody is so different. Some labors may take 3 days and other's 3hrs. There is nothing wrong with that, unless of course there is a legitimate medical concern that could cause danger to the mother or baby. In my opinion, a lot of hospitals and doctors set up laboring women to fail. They convince them that their bodies don't know how to labor and birth correctly. If the labor is not going fast enough for their liking, they will force it in a way. They will administer Pitocin to cause contractions, which can make the pain even worse. They will give an Epidural to then alleviate the pain, which can sometimes then slow down the labor or cause so much numbness that the woman can't feel herself push and she fails to progress. After all that, if she fails even more to progress after all the unnecessary interventions, they will try to pull the baby out with forceps, vacuum, or cesarean. I wonder what would happen if the doctors and hospital staff took a more hands off approach and let the woman's labor unfold on it's own??? I believe that the majority of women would be able to birth naturally(vaginally without medicine). I'm not talking about women who are considered high risk; breech babies, multiples, preeclampsia or other conditions. That is a different story and should be handled with caution. 


I believe our maternal health crisis in the U.S. shouldn't be blamed on the decisions pregnant women make, but rather the birth educators. Obviously, we have a problem with the way our country handles childbirth. We have a very high maternal death rate and cesarean rate. So many women leave the hospital feeling stripped of there birth experience. This is incredibly sad to me and it needs to change.


My passion and desire is that pregnant women be informed correctly about the process of child birth. You cannot put all your eggs in one basket and fully trust one source, like your doctor. This is not a slam against all doctors, as I actually had a great one with my 1st son's birth. One should do research on there own. Take classes. Learn about natural childbirth and the benefits. Learn about the medicines administered and how they can effect your body and baby. Talk to other birth educators like Midwives and doulas. Please don't choose to be ignorant about this. Make informed decisions. After all your research, come up with a birth plan and talk to your doctor, OB or midwife. Make sure you're on the same page. In the end, if you choose to use, for example, medication or other interventions in your labor,  because you believe it will be best for you and your family, then great! You can feel assured that you are doing the right thing. I totally respect that if you've done your own research and have come up with an informed decision. Remember this is YOUR body, baby and birth. No one else can deliver your baby for you. YOU deliver your baby.


Another issue is that a lot of women, who decide they want to give birth naturally without medication in a hospital, often fail because they don't have a good support system. A lot of times the woman gets into the heat of labor and thinks she can't handle it anymore. She then becomes vulnerable to the hospital staff. She is weak and compromising her original plan. I can relate to this because when I arrived at the hospital, for my first birth experience, I begged the staff for some kind of pain reliever. Even though I originally wanted to deliver naturally. Fortunately, I had my husband to advocate for me what I truly wanted. I also was 9cm dilated, so they probably wouldn't have given me anything anyway. Regardless, I had complete trust in my husband and know that in the situation of me not being very far along, he would have stood up and taken charge. If you feel your husband or partner will not be a good support for you,or you just simply want more support, then hire a doula. A doula is a non-medical support to women and their families. They focus on loving and encouraging the woman during labor. They are referred to as natural pain relievers. They can also serve as a source of information during pregnancy and birth. They desire for women to have safe and satisfying birth experiences. They will be your birth advocate; your voice.


I understand that sometimes our birth plans don't go as planned. For example a breech baby that must be delivered by cesarean. This is not necessarily a bad thing. Just view it as God's will for you and take peace in that. Just know that you did everything you could and had the best intentions. Thank God for cesarean sections! They can save lives during an emergency. Feel empowered in your decisions! The way our children come into the world matters right?


Whether you choose a  hospital birth with doctor, OB or Midwife, a birth center or home birth with a Midwife and doula...you can have a beautiful, satisfying and life changing birth experience. The decision is yours; run with it. 

4 comments:

  1. Hey Ashley, I guess what I'm interested to know is why you are choosing to do a home birth, especially since you had a very good doctor for your first delivery. What specific things or factors made you choose to pursue a home birth?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Megan! Great question. Even though I had a good doctor and hospital experience, I believe I will have an even better experience at home. There are many reasons why I prefer a home birth, but these are the top 5:

    1)We had a very short labor with Tucker(3hrs). The 1/2hr car ride to the hospital was excruciating. I believe I will be more comfortable at home. 2nd pregnancies tend to even go quicker.
    2) The check in process at the hospital was very long and stressful, because I was in the most intense part of labor and could barely speak. I will be able to avoid all of this, since I will be at home and there will be no registering.
    3)At a hospital, they have to keep things moving along because of the high volume. There wasn't much time to relax with my new baby because they had to get me transferred to a different room. At a home birth, you don't have to go anywhere.
    4) I had a very hard time sleeping at the hospital. The bed was uncomfortable and nurses would come in all the time and check in with me, so I was constantly being interrupted. Of course they had good intentions and were very sweet, but it was a little much for me. I'm happy that I can be in my own bed after the home birth.
    5) The check out process and packing up at the hospital took a very long time. All I wanted to do was chill and it was very overwhelming to me. Especially the huge new responsibly of a newborn that we were taking home! No packing if I'm at home!

    Great hospital. Very natural child birth friendly and they helped me tremendously with breastfeeding. Very sweet and compassionate nurses we had. Looking forward to another beautiful birth experience, but in the comfort of my own home this time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was diagnose with genital warts since 2012 i have be taking lot treatment and all i got is outbreak. in 2015 I gave up the treatment because I can’t continues wasting time and money on treatment at the end it will not cure me. about 6 weeks ago i did natural research online I had So many people talking good about natural remedy, after the research i was recommended to Dr onokun, And I wrote to him through his email and told him my problem after some conversations with him he gave me natural treatment after 1 week Dr onokun treated me i got cured permanently. and i went to see my doc he confirmed that the diseases has gone out from my body. every patients should know there is 100% natural hpv cure. contact Dr onokun his email address: dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com  

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy for making the right choice by contacting Dr. Irosi who helped me in getting my ex back by casting a love spell on him. One of the best decision i ever made was contacting Dr. Irosi to help me get my lover back, I was life filled with happiness after i contacted Dr. Irosi because he didn't just bring my lover back to me he also made our love for each other more unique and superb. If you need to spice your relationship with more love and attention contact Dr. Irosi on his Email Address [drirosisolutioncenter@gmail.com], call or whatsapp him via his contact +2348118829771 and be happy just like i am, thanks Dr. Irosi for your great work.  

    ReplyDelete